Friday, October 9, 2009

Help! Does anyone remember...?


I'm trying to track down a toy I had when I was a kid, because I think my boys would enjoy them. They came in a bag like, and were roughly the same size as, the stereotypical "plastic army men", but they were Science Fiction versions! If anyone knows the name of these maybe I can track them down on EBay or see if the manufacturer is still around. IIRC, each bag contained several of the following:

Big turtle-shell alien w/claws
Werewolf with laser rifle
"Princess Leia"-type girl w/gun
Human w/blaster pistol
R2D2-style square robot
Earth Astronaut w/vacuum cleaner looking thingy

I know there were a couple of others, but I'm sketchy on the details. The figures came in white, black, hot pink, and day-glo green.

Anyone remember these?

Update! PatrickWR was kind enough to point me at this site, with everything you need to know about these fun little guys (pic now added above). Its funny that my recall of these (listed above) was pretty accurate, but I apparently blocked out the fact that the "Leia" figure does not, in fact, have a ray-gun, but a cash register instead! And how could I forget Darth Fuscia?

Now I just have to figure out where to buy some of these, I've never seen them in dollar stores as some folks have reported :(

19 comments:

  1. BOOM—here's all the info you'll need. Scroll down to the bottom for updated info on exactly what this set was called.

    http://secretfunspot.blogspot.com/2006/06/space-soldiers.html

    ReplyDelete
  2. That's great, thanks for the info!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I had these figs growing up too, and they were great! I hope you find some!

    ReplyDelete
  4. The only thing I can think of is The Outer Spacemen. http://www.theouterspacemen.com/

    ReplyDelete
  5. Oh wait, you picture didn't load for me at first! I used to have these, they also came with a small fighter ship! I had these!

    ReplyDelete
  6. These were some of my favorite toys at a certain age. Thanks for reminding me of their existence.

    ReplyDelete
  7. I've also seen army-man size policemen (blue), firemen (red), ninja (white, grey, and black in the same bag), and cowboyws/indians.

    I actually bought a set of the ninjas for $1, based them with white glue and kitty litter, spray painted them matte black, touched up the eye slits and metal weapons and the ground with mini paint, and sprayed them with a matte finish. Aside from my time the materials probably cost $2 for a dozen ninjas.

    I know they make pre-painted plastic D&D minis, and I love them for their durability and pre-painted-ness, but I wish they would make them cheaper so you could buy a ton of them.

    ReplyDelete
  8. I've got them. Read your post and dug them out of storage. You can have them. Don't want to post my email address. How do we establish contact? Dragonsfoot PM?

    ReplyDelete
  9. I bought a bunch of these guys off of ebay a while back. Been meaning to get one of these games going.

    ReplyDelete
  10. @pjork - sure! i go by EracsCousinsUncle over there.

    ReplyDelete
  11. Ahhhhhh!! The Galaxy Laser Team! Man, I'd like to find a bag of these again. Simply awesome.

    ReplyDelete
  12. Oh man! I had forgotten these. Keen.

    Hmn, my kids would like these (maybe they'll let me play with them).

    ReplyDelete
  13. Yeah I had these when I was a kid...hours of entertainment (they were mostly used in my real sandbox, and many are probably still interred there from 30 years ago). For some reason, the memory that comes up most vividly is of twisting their little plastic limbs and antennas until they came off. Hmmm...was I a little sadist or something...?
    : (

    ReplyDelete
  14. I've got a fair passle of these guys. My daughter breaks 'em out periodically for some sci-fi imaginative play.

    ReplyDelete
  15. Ouch...you triggered some near-dead brain cells with hat picture! I can't even remember what id id with my bag of these things, but I remember it was cool...

    ReplyDelete
  16. Oh wow.

    I remember these too. Summer fishing vacation to Minnesota when I was like 10. I got these to play with and they were splendid.

    Around the same time of course I was given a set of those Hong Kong monsters that served as the inspiration of the bulette and rust monster, of course. Lovely...

    ReplyDelete
  17. Hey All,

    We worked with the current owners of Tim Mee Toys to get a small production run of the Galaxy Laser Team figures manufactured using the original molds. You can find them here: http://www.amazon.com/dp/B007RZ2CSO.

    ReplyDelete
  18. Wanted to say thank you for finding out what these were called. I used to have a bunch of those as a kid. Never expected that almost 30 years later I would want to track some of them down again.

    ReplyDelete

LinkWithin

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...